Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Some of My Notes: Matthew 16:21-27 1


Some of My Notes: Matthew 16:21-27 1
Brad Reiches
Sep 4 2007 11:53AM



Tuesday, September 4, 2007
GodThoughts Wired! 
 
"Some of My Notes"
From Matthew 16:21-27

PART I

"From that time Jesus Christ began to show His disciples
that He must go to Jerusalem and suffer many things...and be killed..."
Matthew 16:21

It was His Father's will that Jesus suffer and die on the cross for our sins.  INCREDIBLE!  Suffering and torturous death were both a part of God's perfect plan for His Son, Jesus.  For most of us, I think, it's VERY HARD TO ACCEPT that pain and suffering can be a part of God's best for our lives (see Job 1:8-2:7; Deuteronomy 8:3; 2 Timothy 2:3; Hebrews 5:8; Philippians 3:10; 1 Peter 4:13; 1 Peter 2:19-20; 2 Corinthians 12:7-9).

Peter certainly didn't understand it.

"And Peter took Him aside and began to rebuke Him, saying,
'God forbid it, Lord!  This shall never happen to You.'"
Matthew 16:22

That seems like a very natural, caring response to me.  Peter loved Jesus and, like us, we would never choose any of our loved ones to suffer.  We never want to see those we care for suffer harm.  I would have thought that Jesus would be comforted by such loyalty and concern...BUT HE WASN'T!







No comments:

Post a Comment