Tuesday, October 9, 2007

I Prefer An 'Encouragement Sandwich!'


I Prefer An 'Encouragement Sandwich!'
Brad Reiches
Oct 9 2007 11:45PM



Wednesday, October 10, 2007
GodThoughtsWired!

"I Prefer an 'Encouragement Sandwich!'"

"A soothing tongue is a tree of life;
but perversion in it crushes the spirit."
Proverbs 15:4

In response to yesterday's GodThoughtsWired! entry, one self-appointed critic asked (after 6 paragraphs of scathing criticism), 

"Are you able to take on board my first-ever criticism
of your otherwise enjoyable daily writings?" 

MY INITIAL RESPONSE:  I am very, VERY open, and respect very much, criticisms that come from those that I know, and trust to be "on my side."  However, as I'm quite sure you are aware, the human tendency is to only respond when we are somehow "offended" or in disagreement.  As your response exemplifies, approximately 999 out of every 1000 first (and only) responses that I receive from GodThoughtsWired! subscribers are negative - intended to correct or discredit or disprove or disapprove or condemn or just plain hurt. 

"Let all things be done for the purpose of edification."
1 Corinthians 14:26

As is the case here, I am not aware of ever hearing from you before?  If there had been some kind of...any kind of prior encouragement or support, I would be much more open to your critique.  As it is, it's highly unlikely that the Lord will be able to use your judgments in any positive way (the enemy, however - will take every opportunity to discourage me).  More likely, it will wind up in the circular file with the other hundred criticisms from today.  I have found that Hebrews 3:13 is very real,

"Encourage one another day after day,
as long as it is still called today,
lest you be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin."

As such, I am much more committed to the practice of Proverbs 3:27, "Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due when it is within your power to do it."  than I am Galatians 6:1 without relationship.  I have found that criticism outside of relationship, no matter how true or purely motivated, is of little or no value.

"Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth,
but only such a word as is good for edification,
according to the need of the moment, that it may give
grace to all who hear it."
Ephesians 4:29

It is a shame that there wasn't anything of redeeming value for you about today's (yesterday's) entry.  If there were, you might have used a communication tool that I have found to be MUCH MORE EFFECTIVE than just straight negativity.  I call it the "Encouragement Sandwich."  You begin by identifying something positive that can be said, THEN express your concerns, and then finish with an additional positive.  If the goal is to truly "edify" (see Ephesians 4:29; 1 Corinthians 14:26), I have found this to be a much more effective approach.

Sincerely,

pastor Brad

p.s.  I once had a friend who truly believed that God had appointed him to function as "the Holy Spirit of conviction" in my life.  All I would say to that is...he is no longer my friend.




No comments:

Post a Comment