Tuesday, November 21, 2006

The Single Most Important Word in the Entire Old Testament! Pt. 2


The Single Most Important Word in the Entire Old Testament! Pt. 2
Brad Reiches
Nov 21 2006 11:02PM

I originally published this series December 8-13, 2005.  Because it was published prior to our transition to InJesus.com, it has not previously been available in our archives.  Since December of last year God has added to our numbers dramatically and it is my desire (and I believe "leading of the Holy Spirit") to now make it available to the thousands of our new subscribers, as well as a permanent online resource for the body of Christ at large.  Since the original publication, I've received meaningful testimonies from many pastors and Bible study leaders that the influence of this study has been widespread and significant, even to the extent of influencing the choice of Bible translations.  May our Lord continue to "cause the voice of My authority to be heard," and "Watch over My word to perform it." 

Pastor Brad


         
Wednesday, November 22,  2006
GodThoughts Wired! 
 
"The Single Most Significant Word
in the Entire Old Testament!"
PART 2

OK!  Here we go!  Jesus starts us off by challenging us to, "go and learn what this means:" (Matthew 9:13; 12:7)

"I delight in loyalty (hesed) rather than sacrifice..."
Hosea :6:6a

The key to the beginning of our understanding Hosea 6:6 is the Hebrew word, "hesed."* In my opinion, it is "The Single Most Significant Word in the Entire Old Testament."  Mentioned 245 times, "hesed" carries with it some of the richest meaning in the Hebrew language.

Hesed:*  "devotion, grace, mercy, compassion, steadfast/unchanging love, loyalty, faithfulness, goodness, kindness, lovingkindness."

In regard to the Old Testament usage of the word hesed, it is imperative to carefully note the context in order to best understand the author's intended emphasis of meaning.  The Hebrew language can be so rich that the same word can slightly differ in meaning dependent on the context.**

In certain instances, and in light of its eternal significance,
 it is nothing short of tragic (in my opinion), 
the way certain paraphrased versions of the Bible
have "botched" the translation of  the word, "hesed."
-Pastor Brad

Here are some paraphrased "debacles:"

NIV:  "I desire mercy, not sacrifice..."
THE MESSAGE:  "I'm after love that lasts, not more religion..."
NEW LIVING:  "I want you to be merciful; I don't want your sacrifices..."

And then the more precise "word for word"** translations:

NEW AMERICAN STANDARD:  "I delight in loyalty rather than sacrifice..."
ENGLISH STANDARD:  "I desire steadfast love and not sacrifice..."
CONTEMPORARY ENGLISH:  "I'd rather for you to be faithful and to know me than to offer sacrifices."

As we continue to DIG DEEPLY into this issue, be reminded  "The secrets of the Lord are for those who fear Him..." (Psalm 25:14a).


*sometimes rendered, "chesedh."

** "No word-for-word translation can be fully 'literal' and still express all the nuances of the original language.  Rather, the purpose is to help the reader find the English word which most correctly expresses the original Hebrew word in that particular context." -The Complete Biblical Library, Old Testament Study Bible, Daniel-Malachi, p. 7.

No comments:

Post a Comment