Thursday, January 11, 2007

Buffet? Or Buffet?


Buffet? Or Buffet?
Brad Reiches
Jan 11 2007 09:25PM

Please visit our website at www.godthoughts.org, or www.willowspringchurch.org  to download today's audio version of GodThoughts Wired!, music, sermons, sermonettes, the Bible Says Series, and The Lifestyle of the Disciple Series...ALL FOR FREE.  You may also go to the Apple iTunes  Music Store on the web and search the podcast directory for Willow Spring Church and/or GodThoughts. Subscribe there for automatic updates and download the daily GodThoughts podcast directly to your i-pod...ALL FOR FREE! 




Friday, December 12, 2007
GodThoughtsWired!

 
"Buffet...or Buffet"*

"I buffet my body that it may obey me."
1 Corinthians 9: 27

Do you buffet your body so that it obeys you?  Or do you take your body to the buffet so that it betrays you?  Have you heard the popular commercial whose jingle is, OBEY YOUR THIRST?  Wrong! 

 I have a two-mile jog that I run three times a week.  It's painful, and it intimidates me just to think about it.  To make matters worse, the jog ends with a treacherous final quarter mile...up hill.  I call it "will-hill" because I'm sometimes tempted to quit!  It tests my will to finish what I've started.  I never quit.  And by God's grace...I never will.  Why?  Three reasons:

#1.  It's a way to buffet my body so that it obeys me.  I have found that generally, my body wants to control my mind, which can be a bad scene.  The Bible tells me that my mind is to control my body at all times (see 2 Corinthians 10:5).  This is one way I keep my body in check.

#2.  Although the pain can be great during the run, afterwards the feelings of accomplishment, discipline, overcoming, health and well-being are far greater (see Hebrews 12:11).

#3.  If you're wondering why I make such a big deal about a two-mile jog, I would encourage you to chew on this:

EVERYTHING...AFFECTS EVERYTHING!
-see Luke 16:10-11

Sin is crouching at your door and its desire is for you...
BUT YOU MUST MASTER IT.
Genesis 4:7

Yes, things like laziness, procrastination, mediocrity, lust, etc. are crouching at my door...so, like Paul, I do everything I can to...KEEP THE DOOR SHUT!  I buffet my body so that it obeys me.

I'm curious...How do you buffet your body?
*Originally written, February 1, 2002.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment