Friday, June 16, 2006

Where Will You Be This Sunday?


Where Will You Be This Sunday?
Brad Reiches
May 16 2006 08:15AM



Tuesday, May 16, 2006
GodThoughts Wired!

"Where Will You Be This Sunday?"

"Let us consider how to stimulate one another
to love and good deeds, not forsaking our own
assembling together, as is the habit of some, but
encouraging one another, and all the more as you
see the day drawing near."
Hebrews 10:24-25

This past Sunday I had the privilege to talk to a lovely lady about church membership.*  Of course, I'm excited about what's happening in our church and I believe that we have much to offer her, but to be honest, I was even MORE excited about what she has to offer the church!  And that reminded me of the above verses.  You see, its only been recently that I believe I've truly come to understand the context and meaning of Hebrews 10:24-25.

I used to think that the Bible warned against poor, or inconsistent church attendance for the sake of the individual in question, however, as I take a deeper look I realize that the larger concern is for the church body.  When you or I miss church, THE CHURCH misses out on all that you have to give.  When you or I decide to forgo church for whatever reason, all of our gifts, talents, abilities, potential for edification and encouragement ARE ABSENT.

Regardless of age, if you're alive this coming Sunday and you decide to "forsake assembing together," the church will be the less for it.

The Bible says,

"Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due,
when it is within your power to do it."
Proverbs 3:27

And I've recently come to realize that this includes going to church.

*For an in-depth discussion, please click-on, What Does The Bible Say About...Church Membership?


No comments:

Post a Comment