Sunday, July 23, 2006

The Tale of the Tortoise


The Tale of the Tortoise
Brad Reiches
Jul 23 2006 11:00PM

Please visit our website at www.godthoughts.org, or www.willowspringchurch.org  to download today's audio version of GodThoughts Wired!, music, sermons, sermonettes, the Bible Says Series, and The Lifestyle of the Disciple Series...ALL FOR FREE.  You may also go to the Apple iTunes  Music Store on the web and search the podcast directory for Willow Spring Church and/or GodThoughts. Subscribe there for automatic updates and download the daily GodThoughts podcast directly to your i-pod...ALL FOR FREE! 


I am currently on vacation until July 27th and therefore unavailable for e-correnspondence.


Monday, July 24, 2006
A GodThoughts Classic!

"The Tale of the Tortoise"

My oldest daughter Alison loves pets.  Several months ago, at age 5, she asked if she could have a turtle.  Thinking back to when I was a kid I remembered having a little "box" turtle that I thought was pretty neat.  I think it cost about 5 bucks.   My wife and I promised her that when she turned 6 she could have a small one.

Well, her birthday was in February but we didn't realize that turtles hibernate until the beginning of April.  I promised her  at that time that as soon as the turtles "woke up" she could pick out whichever turtle she wanted.  Last Friday, the turtles finally arrived at our local pet store.  Ali was beside herself with excitement.  As we approached the "turtle area" I could see that there were 5 or 6 different ones from which she could choose.  Each one was about 4-5 inches in size.

Each of the turtles looked virtually the same to me, but not to Alison.  She knew immediately  which one she wanted.  She informed us that it's name would be, "CuteTurtle."  It was only then that the nightmare began to unfold.  To our horror and dismay  we were informed that our daughter had chosen the lone...Russian Tortoise.  The...$238.00 Russian Tortoise!  The kind of tortoise that lives for more than ONE HUNDRED YEARS!(Actually, the tortoise itself was "only"  $70.00. The additional costs were for all of the necessary tortoise "accessories.") 

As my wife and I continue to recover, here's  a  GodThought:  

Among the many  differences between me and God, here are four:

1)  When God makes a promise...He always knows what He's doing.
2)  When God makes a promise...He always knows what He's saying.
3)  When God makes a promise...He always understands the consequence.
4)  When God makes a promise...He always says exactly what He means, and means                                 exactly what He says(see 2 Peter 1: 4).

No comments:

Post a Comment