Tuesday, February 27, 2007

More on Biblical Unity


More on Biblical Unity
Brad Reiches
Feb 27 2007 11:01PM



Wednesday, February 28, 2007
GodThoughtsWired!

"More on Biblical Unity"

"I (Jesus) in them, and Thou in Me,
that they may be perfected in unity."
John 17:23a

I recently made a comment in reference to "unity:"  "We must not compromise our beliefs for the sake of unity."  One GodThoughtsWired! subscriber wrote,

"So, I agree that we must not compromise our beliefs for the sake of unity,
but we must also not discredit the passion Christ displayed
for the true unity He envisions for us."

And I responded,

"is unity important?  ABSOLUTELY!  However, the unity that Jesus desires for His Church is not in conflict with the truth, nor does it come by minimizing the truth.  Biblical unity is based ON the truth and only those who receive the truth that Jesus offers can be truly "unified" in the way that God desires."

I think if we had a chance to sit down and talk, we wouldn't find any disagreement at all.  My whole concern is that I see, in a large sector of the American church, truth being downplayed for the sake of unity (which, sadly, is simply a reflection of our culture).  And isn't that the case, all too often?  The church being influenced by society, rather than the other way around?"

Technically, I do see a difference between,  "Father, may they be unified," versus, "Father, keep them in Thy name so that they will be unified."  I see the first as praying specifically for unity and the second as praying for the thing that will then result in unity.  For example, if I pray, "Father, I pray that you will bless (husband) and (wife)'s communication with each other, their physical and emotional intimacy, and their mutual care for one another; in-so-doing (or, "that") they will be unified."  I do understand how it might be argued that I just prayer for the two of you to be unified, but I would argue that technically, what I was praying for was 3 things, 1.  communication.  2.  intimacy.  3.  care,  the bi-product of which would be unity.

I can certainly agree that MY EMPHASIS may or may not be intended by the Lord (2 Peter 1:20).  As I mentioned to the other subscriber, "My whole concern is that I see, in a large sector of the American church, truth being downplayed for the sake of unity (which, sadly, is simply a reflection of our culture).  And isn't that the case, all too often?  The church being influenced by society, rather than the other way around?" 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment